Color Coded Questions

Wednesday, October 2, 2013
There's never enough time in school counseling. Never enough time to plan and prepare, never enough time to meet with students, never enough time to effectively use data...the list goes on. One thing I did this past summer to be better prepared for my individual sessions was create a collection of issue-specific color coded questions. I keep mine hanging from the side of a bookcase for easy access.

Students pick one of several games that have colors or numbers (CandyLand, Let's Go Fishing, JENGA, Chutes and Ladders, Connect Four, Don't Break the Ice, etc.) and they respond to prompts specific to their issue(s) as we play.It's a similar idea to Any Game Cards but free(!) and I feel like there's more of a flow by tying prompts to colors or numbers than by tossing in cards and I can make the prompts much more specific.





I typed them, colored them, laminated them, then put them on a key ring that I hang on the side of a bookcase for easy use. The prompts are ideas I found in various therapist resources as well as things I came up with on the fly. 




Students, no matter what age, are always excited about getting to play a game. I've very rarely encountered any resistance to using these prompts while we play. In some games, the color/number is chosen is random. In others, the students choose which allows them to direct the discussions more by selecting what prompts to respond to.

Interested in getting these ready-made? You can find them in my TpT store here.


2 comments:

  1. You have some great ideas! I am a new-ish counselor as well and it's helpful to read about different methods and ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really interesting idea. It adds a new dimension to play therapy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top