Must Have Books - All the Feelings

Tuesday, May 9, 2017
This is Part 4 in my must have book series. You can read Part 1 here, Part 2 here, and Part 3 here!

Obviously, as a school counselor, we spend a lot of time talking about feelings. There are one million gazillion trillion books out their for kiddos that have to do with emotions, and a lot of them are pretty great. If I had to narrow it down to my absolute favorites, the ones I would buy first if I had to start my collection from scratch, these are the ones I would get. To avoid the longest blog post in the entire world, I'm breaking this down even more specifically to posts on "all of the above" feelings, anger, shyness and worry, and emotional regulation.

This book is technically about divorce; the book goes through all the different animals she feels like as she processes the news. I've used it with kiddos to process all sorts of different life events however. Where most kids' books with metaphors are above their heads, this one is much more concrete. It's also a great opener for art or craft projects.



This is an oldie but a goodie that I'm guessing most of you already own. Fun, quirky illustrations and short poems about each feeling. I like this book because 1) it covers the best range of emotions, 2) it quickly shows both how the feeling feels and also one example of why someone might have it, and 3) it works well with a variety of ages (though I'd say 1st-3rd would be the sweet spot).

When I Feel .... (the whole series!)
These books ROCK. So fantastic. Great fit for K-2nd. My co-counselor did an entire unit using these books with 1st grade last year and it was stellar. The descriptions of each of these emotions is so strong and so developmentally appropriate. In particular, "When I Feel Good about Myself" is perhaps the only book that I think truly describes self-esteem in a way children can understand.



Honorable Mentions:

How Do YOU Feel? - Super simple but really great for PreK/K

Glad Monster, Sad Monster - I don't love the emotions they chose for this, but the book is incredibly engaging and gives good examples for each feeling

Shy Spaghetti and Excited Eggs - This book is loooooong, it's really something you would read in bits and pieces. That said, the pairing of foods as feelings is cute, the worry section is great, and it includes some coping skills for each emotion. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.
Back to Top